Monday 2 May 2011

Supporting – always full of surprises

Once you have been in the supporting role for a few years you could be mistaken for thinking you had seen it all. DNS, DNF’s, great races, not so great ones, temper  tantrums, food tantrums etc. This year’s FLING added another experience to the list!
Thomas started well, great weather and in fairly good shape he was aiming for a new PB. He had given me splits that were slightly faster than last year. Unfortunately for him he got carried away a bit at the start and arrived in Drymen and Balmaha 5min ahead of his faster schedule. And even he said to me then, oh, that’s very fast! By Bein Glass where I was waiting with friends from Germany who were spending their holiday with us he was back right on track of his faster schedule but a bit grumpy. By Carmyle Cottage he admitted he was rather tired but Marco managed to kick him into motion again. Just before the A82 crossing he looked better and was close to last year’s time and would be able to finish only a few minutes behind his PB. So good news given his too ambitious start and a lesson learned about pacing for the WHW Race. So off I went to park the car at the Green Welly and carried his rather heavy post race bag through to the finish. There I met 2 other friends of ours, both retired doctors who would come in handy later! Colette herself just recovering from a hip replacement and out without her crutches for the 1st time.
So there we were waiting for him to appear at the finish in around 8:11. But the minutes ticked by and he did not appear. And sometimes it is a bit strange, you hear snippets of conversations of others but don’t pay attention. And I had just heard a guy saying, someone had collapsed near the finish. So I just passed this on to Colette who said, oh no, that won’t be Thomas. I heard it was at Rowardennan earlier this morning. So I forgot about it. But the minutes kept ticking until Athol came running towards me. He was waving. And I don’t really like the sight of this. It has happened twice before and it wasn’t good news then. So he said Thomas had fallen only 2-300 yards from the finish and needed my help. What could he have done that he was not able to limp across the finish line himself?! So I sprinted off fully expecting to see blood gushing out from somewhere or a broken bone. The 200 yds seemed rather long but eventually I saw him on the ground by the path with someone watching him. (Thank you by the way. I don’t know your name.) Marco had also arrived. I approached but could not see any obvious injury. It then turned out that he had to jump out of the way of 2 mountainbikers, fell, hit his chest and that triggered off an irregular heart beat! So there he was in the grass with a pulse of up to 240/min and feeling unwell. This is “SVT”, supraventricular tachycardia, which can decrease cardiac output and blood pressure leading to dizziness and numbness of hands and feet. There are a few manoeuvres you can try to stop it or in prolonged cases an injection in a hospital setting might be required. It is something that can last only for seconds and it can come and go like an on/off switch. Or it can be prolonged.
Luckily this was not the 1st time this has happened so I knew what I was dealing with. Normally it does only last for seconds, in fact it happens very rarely and never when running or exercising. But it was the blow to the chest when falling that triggered it off and it didn’t stop. We poured water over him to cool him down but then he started to shiver and we had to put a fleece on! In that heat! Eventually we decided he should walk slowly to the finish where we could lie him down hoping it would stop. So we made our way to the finish, his time was taken and he had lost 20min so close to the finish. Now this was in fact what bugged him most! He had lost not only 20min but 3 places when he was passed by people while he was on the ground. This meant he had lost his 2nd Scottish Vet place and 3rd Scot overall. I was just glad he was still walking! We used the massage table to lie him down but later had to find a new place as people were queuing up for massages. My 2 medical friends and I debated what else we could do as this SVT was not stopping and had lasted for over 45min now. When we were about to get the car he sat up and as quickly as it had started it was gone. His heart was beating in sinus rhythm again and we were all rather relieved! He felt fine then and of course we stayed on until the prize giving. He managed to get a medal for 3rd Scottish Vet as his time of 8:31 was still pretty good and put him into 12th place overall.

8 comments:

Peter Duggan said...

Think Thomas is my hero! Not only did he come through very strongly from the later start on the big hill after Rowardennan when we were nominally competing in the same category, but he looked completely OK again by the time I saw you both in Tyndrum. :-)

Kaz said...

What are the friggin' chances of that!!!! Glad he's OK - he sure keeps you on your toes, Silke! Well done to him on his race too.
Kaz.

Andy Cole said...

I didn't realise all that drama was going on, it must have been very unnerving. You both looked very composed when I saw you at the prizegiving. I must have passed Thomas without seeing him near the end and can't imagine how I could have done that. Relieved it all ended OK and congratulations on another great run by Thomas.

Santababy said...

oh my god Silke, i had no idea, as Andy said you both looked very composed. There i was moaning about myself when all that had gone on, so sorry!

Anonymous said...

Well done the German medical support team!!

Another chapter in "The book of Crazy Tam's running career". I'd no idea all this drama was going on, but a big relief to learn that all is well. Tam passed me near Derrydarroch just a minute after Richie. He looked fine to me at that point, but didn't sound very happy ~ so I reckoned everything was okay, and just as normal!

MtM

Davie said...

Glad he's OK. He certainly looked in a poor way when he finished but was looking a bit better when i spoke later. Never a dull moment with the CSG!

Billy said...

Silke,
I'm glad Thomas is OK. Good that you were able to diagnose the problem and handle things so calmly. And Thomas did a pretty good time in the circumstances!

Marco Consani said...

Always a drama when Thomas is involved in an ultra.
Thomas had us all very worried. I was so relieved when I saw him walking towards the finish. A fantastic time considering.
I hope you are recovering from the drama Silke.
Take care and see you both soon.

Marco