Monday 9 May 2011

Surprise 10K-PB

Yesterday I ran the Women's 10K in Glasgow - along with thousands of others. I did not expect too much as my training for the Edinburgh Marathon had been somewhat interrupted and I had only been kind of back on track for the last 2-3 weeks. My legs had been heavy a lot of the times I tried to run at Marathon pace never mind 10K pace!
Once across the start line I tried to keep up with a clubmate who had been runnig well in Troon just a few days ago but she went off into the distance fairly quickly. When the 1K mark arrived I was gasping for breath and realized I had gone off far too fast. A glance at the watch confirmed it. Someone caught up with me, she recognized me but I was not sure where to place her. I am sure she is an ultra-runner but I could not remember her name. It was just when I had realized my fast start and was only able to hiss "can't talk". Sorry! She soon went on ahead. Then not too far into the 2nd K Debbie overtook me! Only now?! I really went off too fast I thought and feared I had blown it. Debbie went on to run a PB of 45min something only one week after the Fling - how amazing is this?!
So my pace slowed down considerably and I just tried to keep it steady until half way. I had not wanted to look at my watch but could not help it. I think I was at 24:something with the hills in the park to come. I started to count the Km down. A glance at my watch at 8K confirmed I could stay under 50min, another at 9k, a shout from Marco and Cairn and I increased the pace. When I saw the finish with the clock ticking towards my previous PB I sprinted to the finish and crossed the line in 48:40, a 10sec PB from last year! So I think it was the 1st and last K that gave me my PB - well pleased! By the way 281st position from 10100 finishers! I have never been so far in front! :-) Mind you a lot of the 10100 women walked it but never mind!

6 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Congratulations Silke!

An excellent run.

You and Katrina will have to run one together as you are pretty close time wise.

Debs M-C said...

Excellent! Well done, Silke :-) xx

Thomas said...

Well done darling.
I am very proud of you!

Davie said...

And you are in the big pics of the start in the Evening Times. Can I have an autograph?

Vicky said...

Well done on the PB!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit late but well done on the pb!