Saturday 16 April 2011

No running

... for over 10 days now due to a bad cold I caught while in Germany! I blame my mum who had exactly the same symptoms when I met her last week. 2 days later the virus had struck but due to her 70th birthday party and other family visits there was no time to rest. We got back last Sunday and it was time to go back to work on Monday after a 2-week-break so not the best time to phone in sick! I got through Monday but then had to give in with no voice and coughing fits that would have scared every patient away. With the trip to Germany, my wee nephew visiting and this cold I have now missed at least 2 long runs for my Edinburgh Marathon training not to mention the shorter runs! Not good! I probably have to adjust and maybe accept that I might not break the 4 hours this time. Well I knew I would be busy, but did not allow for any illnesses to get in the way too. I am better now though and managed to go for a 5M slow run this morning - not the 20M I should be doing but at least I am running again. I do have a supportive husband though who told me last night I was lacking total sharpness anyway and I should stick to what he thinks I am good at - endurance! Well, he wishes! By that he means of course I should just train long and slow to do ultras where I don't need any speed for the times I would be doing, i.e. finishing, rather than getting hung up on beating times such as a 4-hour Marathon. Well he can talk. He does well in ultras AND gets fast times in a HM or Marathon. I do really want to improve my Marathon time and would love to have a sub 4-hour one though. My last longer run was after the MacPirates Engagement Party from BoO to Kingshouse with Katrina and Maya. I enjoyed it despite the hail and constant rain until we were half way across Rannoch and the sun came out! My wee nephew did well on his visit and was introduced to trail running and supporting on the WHW! Much to my family's dislike he had opted last year to join the Athletics division of "Schalke 04" (watch out, now in the Champions League semifinal against Manchester and my home town club!) rather than the local football club. He loves running and is hoping to beat his uncle one day!

4 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

Hope the cold gets better soon Silke - I'm sure you're capable of getting that sub 4 hour Edinburgh marathon, and the rest will do you no harm at all. And good luck to Schalke for the semi-final (but don't tell Sandra I said that, as she's a big Man U fan....) x

Debs M-C said...

Glad you're feeling better, Silke. You've got lots of time until the marathon and you really don't need to do the miles. xx

bob said...

Hey, really great blog post… I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy you put into each post. I actually run AceHealth.org, a blog of my personal research and experiences. If you're interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail: bob.mauer65(at)gmail(dot)com, and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Caroline said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better now. I'm sure you can get sub 4 at Edinburgh, you were so close last time you definitely have it in you! See you Saturday hopefully. Caroline