Sunday 26 October 2008

My life as a reluctant runner

There it is. I have said it. I am a runner. Well, maybe if I repeat it a few more times, I will convince myself eventually…
Maybe I should look at the start list of the Devil every day to see my name there – that should get me to believe that I ‘d better consider myself a runner. Why else would I have entered an ultra run?!
And why would I have applied for membership at a running club if it wasn’t for running?
Well, maybe it is because I was threatened with divorce proceedings if I didn’t?
No, no, that is just a joke. Though Thomas seems rather happy that I am on “the” Devil’s list. It would be even better if I wasn’t such a slow runner though, he reckons. No, again not true. Really.
I am still reluctant to give up my “supporting role” though. Is this not what I am supposed to do?!
Yeah, as if!
Seriously, I still see the main objective of next year (as far as running is concerned) to help Thomas achieve his dream and FINISH the WHW Race. But it looks as if along the lines I have turned into a runner myself, setting myself small goals over the years with the occasional 10K, then my 1st HM in 2006, 2nd one in 2007 and then my 1st Marathon earlier this year. And now I actually enjoy running along trails and am looking forward to the 1st training run on the WHW with the “real runners” in November! How did this happen?
I still don’t like running in horizontal rain though and I always look forward to the end of the run when it is time to stretch, but maybe with time this will also change?!
You have probably noticed that my attitude towards my own running abilities is rather negative. It is all in my head, my husband tells me. I am usually quite a positive and optimistic person, but not when it comes to judging my own running capacities. Strange that.
Maybe the speed sessions in the club will help. Apropos speed session. This is where the problem starts. Thomas has picked up yet another injury during the one and only speed session last week. There is a collision of interest now. I think these sessions will be good for me, but it looks as if they are not for him. Looks like a short career in the club for him. The 10K Kilmacolm race did not happen because of this injury. But I hear there is a HM in Lochaber on Sunday?!

2 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

By this time next year I'm sure you will feel like a runner! It is all in your head - the fact you have run a marathon means you are already a member of the the 'runner' club, as far as I am concerned.

Was Thonmas planning on doing the Kilmacolm 10k? I went along and saw quite a few runners from Greenock Glenpark. It was an enjoyable run and well organised. I was brought up in Kilbarcgan and often went with my dad when he was refereeing at Birkmyre Park, so it was a bit of a trip down memory lane for me! Ian

John Kynaston said...

Great idea to set up a new blog! You can still support Thomas but we are all interested in your running as well!

Look forward to catching on the 30th November.

John