Wednesday 22 October 2008

My 1st club run ...

Tonight Tom and I went for our 1st club run with Greenock Glenpark Harriers - a speed session! Halfway through I wished I had never encouraged Thomas to go along to the club - or at least not volunteered to tag along myself.

The run was 9.2 miles long - longer than I usually "run" - you probably can't even call it that after what I have seen tonight. And to my excuse I have not been running regularly for a few weeks now.
So the 2M "warmup" was at a faster pace than I usually "run" at. Needless to say I was at the back. But I was in good company - a nurse I had worked with at Inverclyde 9 years ago! This was her 1st speed session also, her HM time being similar to mine. So I tried to stay with her during the speed intervals. We were of course the slowest group. The intervals were long, very long and very very long! (800m, 1200m, 1600m=1mile) 2 of each and then the 2M run back to the club...
I have never done so much speed work in my life. They probably wondered why I was there, but luckily Thomas was in good form and ran with the fast group - that was reason enough to hand me an application form for membership as well at the end of the night!

What next? Well, there is a 10K race in Kilmacolm on Sunday and Thomas wants to enter....

2 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Hey Silke,
You'll have to change the name of your blog. You're officially a runner now.
Take care x

Thomas said...

Debs, thanks a lot for that comment. I was suggesting the same to Silke (renaming the blog) but she is reluctant to do that. Maybe after you suggestinging this she will agree
:-)
C'mon Silke, you are one of us now!