Wednesday 24 March 2010

Well Well ...

... it is never a good idea to be too smug so after my good run on Sunday I have landed back on my feet. The physio had been working hard on both of my Achilles tendons and reckoned that with about 4 intensive sessions just for the Achilles tendons (involving rather painful massage to break up any tissue etc)we should see an improvement. When I started my run on Sunday the left one was a bit sore at the beginning but that soon disappeared. And apart from when you apply pressure I don't really get much pain from the Achilles. But the discomfort on pressure is obviously a sign that something is not quite right. That's why I decided to get it treated.

So yesterday (my 3rd session) the area in question was very tender, in fact worse than at the first session. So he reckoned I should really take it easy for 2 weeks, not run more than 5M every 2nd day to give it a chance to improve. Or else I might not be able to start the Fling! NOT what I wanted to hear! He has also given me some mild orthotics in case the overpronation support that I already have in my Asics is just not enough. And even though the Trabuccos have some support, I guess it is not as much as the running shoes. That would make sense as the problem is rather symmetrical, slightly worse on the left but in the same area. On a good note, he was quite impressed about the state of my muscles after this long run. He reckoned that "biomechanically" my body seems to be able to take the "pounding" and it is the Achilles area that is the problem but it could be sorted if I gave it TIME! Time I do not have if I want to have a go at the Fling. He thinks it is the downhill running that puts the most strain onto the Achilles area.

Anyway, I think I will take it easy for at least 1 week until the next appointment, then maybe another. And then I still have nearly 3 weeks to get a few longer runs in. Just when the season has started! :-(

3 comments:

Brian Mc said...

Are you icing your Achilles every night? Wrap some ice cubes in a thin, wet cloth and apply / rub to the area for up to 15 minutes max. It will help reduce any inflammation present.

When I got achilles problems a few years back it was because the top of the hell on my shoes was poking into my achilles. I changed the shoe and haven't had a problem since.

Debs M-C said...

Chin up, Silke. Remember you're the trooper in the gang! I know it's hard (I don't practive what I preach!) but try and rest. x

Silke said...

Thanks. Icing and me don't go well together. But I will give it a go. The things you do to be able to run the Fling! Just now I'm enjoying the rest ...