Monday 22 March 2010

32 Miles on the Way

Yesterday I ran from BoO to KHH (and a bit further) and back to Tyndrum, making it my 2nd longest run ever (the Devil being the longest). I ran it completely self-sufficient with a new larger backpack that not only had all my food but also some spare clothes in there. I refilled my water once at KHH. All in all I was on my feet for 7h:13min. Needless to say I felt very pleased with myself!

The plan was for Thomas, Marco, Debbie and me to meet up for this long training run 5 weeks before the Fling. Before you think, how is that going to work out time-wise with the Sonics, Thomas and then me thrown in, we had a plan!

Debbie would run the Devil, Thomas and Marco would run it backwards leaving the car in FW. I was supposed to start in BoO and run to FW, but decided to make my own plan as I was fearing Debbie would have to wait for me in FW for hours and I did not want the pressure in case I could not go on etc. Running back to Tyndrum would give me my miles and leave me lots of time for unforeseen circumstances.

Well, well. It turned out that I was the only one actually finishing the planned run with everyone else bailing out at various points for various reasons. :-)

I was completely oblivious to all this as Thomas kept phoning my old mobile and then complained I had not switched the phone on! While I was happily running my last few miles down into Tyndrum, I was doing a few calculations and worked out that I could have actually run to FW and would have probably arrived only a short time after Debbie, which made me feel even better. I was starting to plan what I could eat at the Green Wellie and how I would spend the time until everyone else arrived. I stopped the watch (sorry, The Garmin Thomas had given me to ensure the mileage was all recorded) and stretched my sore legs and back. While I was leisurely looking up I saw a car pulling into the car park and 3 familiar faces! Debbie, Marco and Thomas! My face must have had a rather stupid look as I tried to figure out how they all got into that car and arrived just as I finished my run? Well, check out their blogs, you might find out. Nothing serious just a combination of viral illnesses and tiredness. I in fact had a rather good day, enjoying the run on my own, the stunning scenery with sunny spells, showers, rainbows thrown in, wind and then dry weather again. I tested a few food options, even Ginger Crystals at the end, new socks, new backpack (GoLite Rush for Women) - all to get ready for the BIG ONE, the Fling.

4 comments:

Kaz said...

Well done Silke, you'll be grand on the day!

Plenty time to recover before the big day. I had wanted to do my long one 5 weeks before, but due to a shoe failure, had to do it the following week and was terrified my legs weren't going to recover in time!

Enjoy your progressive taper.

Kaz

Vicky said...

I was expecting to see a combination of your group at some point on sunday (after seeing the posting on the forum) but only met 1 runner descending into Kinlochleven as I was climbing out. I am assuming that was Thomas. We said a fleeting hello.

Congratulations on your run. That's a great distance to cover, and you must be looking forward to the Fling now.

Vicky

Debs M-C said...

Thanks for taking one for the team, Silke :-) If I had continued on to Fort William, I would probably still be out there.

I went out for a run at lunchtime today and feel loads better. Still not eating the same though. But more than my four jelly babies on Sunday. Marco is still milking it though. Ah the joy of children and their gastly bugs :-)

See you soon xxx

Ps: We googled your new house last night. Te he. VERY impressive.

Anonymous said...

Well done Silke. Glad to hear you sounding positive and confident about your run and the Fling!
Caroline
x