Monday 25 May 2009

Support Debut


This is our new support vehicle! My new Mazda 2 TD, 3 weeks old and never been to the Highlands!

Apologies again to John M who got a lift back from FW to Tyndrum and was forced to have his (very muddy :-)) shoes (attached to his feet) placed on newspaper ...
I guess in 4 weeks time at the WHWR this will not be my priority any more! :-)
The trip up to Lundavra was rather exciting, maybe I should have gone for a 4x4?

Anyway, back to the run. I was supporting Thomas on his last long training run, the "Devil". I was able to catch up with quite a few people along the way, runners and supporters, and enjoyed the day. Here are some photos.

My problem was that I did not feel too good throughout the day and I realized that 2 weeks on I am still not 100% recovered. In fact it felt as if I was getting worse again. I tried to run quite a bit last week to have some mileage to taper down from and I ran 12M on Saturday and got soaked. Probably not the best idea ...

So then where does this leave me in 6 days' time? I have no idea really, but I have changed my goal from a sub4 hour marathon to just completing it. This is only my 2nd marathon so I guess getting round the whole distance in one piece is a good goal. Trying to beat my 1st time of 4:23 would also be good. And getting anywhere near to 4hrs would be great. Sub4 hours was possible 2 weeks ago, I doubt I will be able to do this at the moment.
In fact I have missed the 2 long training runs that I am told are important not to hit the wall etc, so I fully expect to struggle towards the end. And to be honest I have to wait and see how the week goes to decide if it is sensible to start at all...

The Edinburgh Marathon is a huge club outing with a full bus going with supporters, runners and 2 relay teams. The evening will be rounded off with a meal at a local Indian. So it would be great to run and have a PB to celebrate ... Still dreaming.

No comments: