Saturday 16 May 2009

No running and a DNS

Today is the Cateran Trail Race where Thomas was due to start. This time it is a DNS for him which probably would have been a DNF if we had not cancelled our trip to Glenspittal.
He has not been 100% for the past 10 days with headaches, increased heart rate etc. I was struck by "the virus" 2 days after the Dunfermline HM. Only I have been in bed for the past 3 days and can't remember when I have felt this ill. There was not even any thought of running, but I am now getting concerned as the Edinburgh Marathon is only 2 weeks away!
Anyway, on Friday morning when Thomas woke up yet again with headaches, dizziness and "not feeling right" we decided that it was probably not a good idea to attempt a 55M race, not even as a training run. So we called it off. A shame really as he had spent hours to prepare his route maps the day before and we had been looking forward to exploring an area of Scotland we had not visited before. But a very sensible decision to give us both the chance to fully recover and be ready for the weeks ahead.
My training plan has now fallen to pieces and I am getting worried about EDI. I should be doing my last long run tomorrow, 32K. If I can walk 6K I will be happy! But there is not much I can do just now. If I recover by Monday and get back to work I can maybe start running again. I should be able to finish the marathon even if it is not in my goal time of sub 4H. So I'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

Silke, I would suggest you throw your training plan away at this stage. If you are ill you are ill, and there's nothing you can do about it. However I suspect all of us overtrain, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you get a PB in the marathon because a) you will have fully recovered by then and b) you will be fresher than you would otherwise have been. Good luck. Ian

Debs M-C said...

You are in much better shape this year. You're a real runner now! So I think you'll definitely get a PB. Just rest now. But I don't need to tell a doctor that :-)
See you at the weekend??
Debs