Sunday 19 September 2010

SUMS 2010

Yesterday was not only the final race of the Scottish Ultra Marathon Series but also the Ball with the prize giving ceremony of this first SUMS-Championship. The venue in Ayr Townhall was very nice and the evening was a great success. As was the whole SUMS! So a big thank you to all those who made its first year possible!


And Thomas did very well in his ultra races this year. Not only did he finish his 1st WHWR but he came 5th overall in the SUMS Championship (having done the required 4 races with the Double Marathon, the Fling, the WHWR and the Devil) after Grant Jeans, Jack Brown, Marco Consani (superb!) and George Cairns. And he brought home a very nice price indeed for coming 2nd in the Vet category! So great achievement and well done!!

What next?

Well, we are off to Berlin next weekend for the Berlin Marathon. I will be doing the Inline Marathon on Saturday afternoon and Thomas is on the start list for Sunday's run. Up to last week he was on target to attempt another PB. Unforunately this has been halted by a bad chest infection that is not shifting. So at the moment he cannot run (or speak for that matter as his voice has also disappeared) and we will have to wait and see how he is in a few days. But a PB in Berlin is far away just now.

Myself I am also targetting a new PB - if I manage not to catch whatever he has got! Last year I had a great race coming in after only 1:41 when I was trying to get under 1:50. So this year I have signed up for the 1:39 paceline! Though I am not as fit as last year and have not done as much skating as last year I will see if I can keep up with that pace group. It would just be fantastic to do it, but it is very optimistic. But on a dry day with no wind - who knows what is possible ... My 2 Scottish fellow skaters will go for 1:49 and 1:29 respectively so here is hoping we all have a great time! It is a bit late for me to invest in bigger wheels at the Expo as I will not have enough time to get used to them but that would certainly help me with my target as most of the others in my group will probably skate with 100mm wheels. I only have 90mm ones. But no excuses! I managed 1:41 last year so bring on Berlin!

3 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Great to see you on Saturday. Thanks for letting us change in your room!

Have a great weekend in Berlin and I look forward to seeing whether you can stay with that 1/39 pace line!

Send my best wishes to Thomas for a speedy recovery.

Debs M-C said...

If CG is as bad as he was yesterday, I'm not even sure he can fly let alone run. Fingers crossed he recovers in time.

Good luck with your race. I'm sure you will ace it. Let me know how you get on.

Debs x

xtine said...

Hi Silke,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your comment, thanks for commenting about the Devil race. I loved it and will certainly be doing it next year. Hopefully you will too and we could maybe both aim for sub 9 hours! It was a great experience. Will you be doing the Fling?

Good luck with your race - it sounds like brilliant fun! Where abouts do you do practice for your races?

Christine.