Wednesday 10 June 2009

10 days to go to the WHWR 2009!

We have tried very hard this year to keep it very low key. Last year the build up was crazy (well, what do you expect from a crazy German?). This year we have already had quite a few running highlights and the WHWR was only one of many events on the programme (though admittedly the biggest). Thomas has been in great shape so far. I have tried to blank out the upcoming WHWR and now it is only 10 days to go.
Our support strategy has been simplified this year with gels as the main source of food and a few other options such as soup or the odd sandwich if required. There will only be Nancy and myself as support with me being the runner (or walker) if required at a later stage. We have booked a nice B&B in Fort William (and I am already looking forward to Sunday’s breakfast with pancakes and strawberries – they were delicious when we stayed there before Eddie’s Half). We will only stay for one night and Thomas will be off from the Wednesday before the race to turn around his sleeping rhythm and relax. At least that was the plan…

We had a nice weekend in Edinburgh with great results for both of us in the marathon. And Thomas keeps telling me he felt fine when re ran and was not pushing it. I do believe him. But now his quads are complaining and seize up as soon as he runs more than 3-4K! He is kicking himself telling me he should have run with me. But that did not work either as last year when he ran my 1st marathon with me he was complaining that my slow pace caused his legs to be sore and heavy for quite some time afterwards….

So when I left for Germany last week to spend a long weekend with my family and especially my sister (we were going to an open air concert on Saturday) I thought I left him at home to get on with his planned runs. But when I came back I was greeted by a very long face! He had not run at all due to his quads seizing up.

So 10 days before the run we are at another low. Will he even be ready to start (I think yes!), will his muscles seize up before the Carbeth huts? We will find out, though I don’t think so! His legs need a good rest and they are forcing it on him. Though not planned he is doing a 100% taper, probably not the best idea but there are people who suggest just that…
So between warming his muscles with a microwavable cushion, stretching, then massaging with all sorts of lotions and potions and then icing them, he keeps himself busy. And I am nearly going crazy myself. Where is the icing cushion, where is this cream and that lotion, where is the Ibuprofen? When I get home from work I am not the most patient person, having used all my patience for my patients! :-) But I will need just that if I want to get through the next week!

And it is this time that I hate most about ultra-running. It is bad enough if you train for a marathon and get ill or injured before, but training for months, preparing yourself for an ultra-race and then facing a DNS or DNF is so frustrating. Even just contemplating it is annoying enough and I am getting fed up with this cycle of preparation, training, pre-race taper. I wish it was Sunday 12:00 on 21/6/09 and I knew Thomas had finished and we were waiting for the presentation to begin …

2 comments:

Kaz said...

Oh my love! I hear you - these men -they need to just put a smile on their face and enjoy! It is a privelage to be a able to run; to get out of bed in the morning with energy; to be able to go to work with no fatigue and to run through some of the most beautiful scenery in all the world is a blessing that some never experience. To feel the breeze that you create yourself as the legs that God blessed you with carry you unimagineable distances is a pure joy. Tell him to relax, and to remember why he runs. Tell him to rest - I did a 10 mile run with about the same time to go and was absolutely cream crackered and thought: "that's enough, rest those little legs of your"s." So I sat in the garden, continued some gentle yoga to prevent ceasing up and had 2 little jogs of about 2 -3miles after 4 full days of rest after that 10 miler just to keep my legs moving.
Wish him the best of luck and to enjoy the journey.
Best of luck to you and to all the other support crews - I know how nervous and exhausted Al was before, during and after the fling and I think you guys are the unsung heroes!
I may be there cheering on the Strathearn harriers so I will give you guys a cheer too!
Kaz.

Debs M-C said...

I would just like to have you conversation that doesn't start "On the West Highland Way Race..." :-) I'm most looking forward to heading to Rome on Tuesday. I might need to buy a double-buggy though.

What B&B are you staying in? sounds lovely. Might be a good one for after the Devils.