Monday 23 March 2009

10 weeks to go...

10 weeks to go until my first serious race this year, the Edinburgh Marathon!

My 10-week-training-plan is starting now and I will be aiming to get under 4hrs in my 2nd marathon. Compared to last year I am already in much better shape having a lot more miles under my feet with long runs on the WHW, speed work and a couple of smaller races with new PBs. So I think I am on the right track at the moment. My plan has been modified slightly by Thomas to take into account my better fitness and maybe even get closer to 3:50 …. He is a very ambitious coach!

Also I am now an official member of the Highland Fling Crew! I have been asked to be part of the medical back-up team that Murdo hopes to station at all the checkpoints. Thomas was keen for me to do it though he did not really want to lose me as his support either. So we have come to an arrangement that we had discussed earlier. I wasn’t going to be at the Beechtree Inn this year anyway. I was also getting worried about going to Rowardennan and back because of the huge number of runners and support crews that will be out on this tiny road. So now it is final that Thomas will use the drop-bag-service (let’s hope it will work!) for Rowardennan. I will make my way to Drymen as soon as I have dropped off Thomas at the start before 7am. I will then be manning “my station” at Drymen until Thomas has passed through (so I will see a lot of you 6am starters and the faster 7am runners). I will then head to Balmaha, my next and last station where I will stay until the last runner has passed through, i.e. around 10.30/11.00am.Then I will make my way to Beinglas and just be Thomas’ supporter again until the finish unless someone needs assistance when I happen to be around. There will be a different doctor stationed at Beinglas for most of the time as well.
I am really looking forward to being involved in the Fling in a more official role. And I hope all you fit runners out there will still be in excellent shape when you pass through Balmaha.
Well then, now I don’t only have to worry about my number one runner but also about over 300 other runners! And that on my day off! :-)

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Darling, the Fling will be a historical race and I am proud that you provide medical assistance.
Just make sure you bring enough Elastoplast since John Kynaston is running!
Don't worry too much about that 3:50 target for the Edinburgh Marathon. As long as you
finish the Devil in under 9 hours I am happy...
;-)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your Edinburgh training! You have been doing really well recently and I am sure you are going to have a great marathon and Devil's race!

Harvey will be there if that is okay to bring him back in the car and John asked for a lift with us up to Tyndrum and back home so is there room for him in your car too from Fort Will to Tyndrum?

Caroline
x

Silke said...

Hi Caroline,
no problem with the lifts. As long as he (Harvey) does not mind sitting on people's laps. Or in the boot.
See you on Saturday. I am hoping for nice weather!
Silke