Sunday 8 February 2009

RRR Renfrewshire Road Race

Today was my 1st race this year, a 5 mile road race just around the corner from us, in the Battery Park in Gourock and along the waterfront, organized by Inverclyde Athletics. Looking at last year's results my goal was not to come last! And maybe holding off at least one of the other Glenpark girls. Well, Thomas had set me a target of under 40:00 which I thought was rather ambitious and I complained that he put too much pressure on me! I don't know what it is about running, but when it comes to running or even running races I turn into a rather pessimistic person and can't really judge my ability. I am usually very nervous before the start and I wonder what I will be like when it comes to the start of the Devil!
Anyway, I managed to achieve all my own goals and even had 2 Glenpark girls behind me and overtook a Bellahouston runner with a sprint finish to get in after 39:31. This makes it my first run with a sub-8min mile (7:55min/mile and 4:55/km). And most importantly :-) my personal trainer was pleased that I had in fact beaten the 40:00min target.

2 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

well done Silke; sub 40 minutes is an excellent performance.

Davie Bell said...

Excellent stuff Silke! hopefully your performance will give you a huge confidence boost ,keep up the hard work it seems to be paying off.